A Little About Me


I am currently appointed to the faculty of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, USA, as Research Associate in the Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences. My research interests are in the area of biological data warehousing and applications of bioinformatics to the study of immune responses, vaccines, venom toxins, drug design, and disease biomarkers. I started publishing since my undergraduate honours’ year (2003) and to date (2010) have authored/co-authored a total of 24 research and review articles in various international journals and conferences, and have presented my work at numerous international conferences. I was involved in the development of several novel bioinformatics methodologies, tools, and specialized databases, and currently have four patents filed. My teaching experiences (2006-2010) have been in bioinformatics, imparting to undergraduate/graduate students at the National University of Singapore (~500 students per year), and have assisted in the supervision of research projects of more than 50 students (45 bachelors, 6 masters and 3 PhDs). I have also co-authored two bioinformatics pedagogy related papers and a book chapter. I am currently the ExCo secretary of the Asia Pacific Bioinformatics Network (APBioNet), and member of the International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB) and S* Life Science Bioinformatics Alliance. My services to the scientific community include as reviewer for several journals/conferences and have played an integral role in the organization of several local and international bioinformatics conferences, meetings and workshops.




I can be contacted at asif{at}jhu.edu

For more information, see: